We have a wonderful small town and being that Eatonton literally begins with the word "eat" I thought I would share some of my favorite local places in the area. If you are new to town or want an idea for your next date night, our town has something to offer for any occasion and any mood. These are just some of my favorites. They are not in any order and range on varying budgets.
Prontos - $
Prontos has a very versatile menu. It ranges from subs to pizza to pasta to even some nicer choices like steaks and other specials. It is not rare for my family to eat here multiple times in a week depending on how busy we are and what we have going on. They are extremely affordable for the food you get and very delicious. Here's some of my favorites:
- Southwest Salad - This is a must have. Prontos has some of the most delicious salads but this is my favorite. I usually mix the jalepeno ranch with a normal ranch because it can be a little spicy. The chicken is delicious, the lettuce is always fresh, and it comes with two garlic knots. This salad is so good I had to learn how to make this at home myself so I could enjoy it often.
- Calzone - The calzones are quite filling and have a great taste to them. I do like Pronto's marinara sauce and I have yet to be disappointed in their calzone selection.
- Ribeye Sandwich with Fries - Pronto's battered home cooked fries are on another level from your typical fries. They are usually cooked just right and taste fantastic. If I am not mistaken I believe they actually use potatoes to make their fries in house instead of frozen, but I cannot say 100%. The ribeye sandwich is decent in size and very affordable. All of the above meals taste just right with Prontos sweet tea.
Smith's Coastal Grill is a little southern Savannah style mixed with a little Caribbean. They have a wide selection of meals to fit any mood from burgers to fish tacos. We will eat at Smith's at least once a month if not more. The atmosphere is great and the decorations really fit the mood.
- Fish Tacos - Their fish tacos are perhaps the best you will find. They come with a side of corn and green beans and I think a piece of cornbread. This is my wife's go to meal when we eat here. Let me just say, adding a side of cheese grits really sets this meal over the top. Smith's by far has my favorite cheese grits ever.
- Fried Green Tomato BLT - If you are eating here for a Sunday lunch/brunch, this is the perfect meal. It has a fantastic remoulade sauce (you'll want extra) and the bacon is nice thick cut bacon. It comes on delicious toast with a side of fries. Ok I just realized Smith's fries are on par with Prontos and dipping them in their ranch sauce is OMG!
- Bacon Cheese Fries - I know this isn't really a meal but as I mentioned earlier their fries are outstanding. Adding bacon and cheese to their fries, are you kidding me!!!!?
- Low Country Boil - This may just be a special but the last time I ate there I got the Low Country Boil for 2 (yes I did share with my wife). It was outstanding with plenty of shrimp, corn, sausage, and potatoes. It was all we could do to eat it all, of course I probably ate 3/4 of it. It was a fantastic bithday meal.
We just tried this place out a few weeks ago for the first time and I will definitely be choosing to go back often. We have been twice already. If you want a low key quiet small town back in the woods place to eat, this is it!! It isn't very big and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The sweet tea is great and there is a pool table if you want to kill time waiting on your food.
- Big John Burger - Named after the late founder of Trophy's Bar and Grill, "Big John", this burger lives up to its name. It has a fantastic flavor and has been cooked to perfection the two times I have gotten it. It will surely feel you up and the fries that come with it are very good. If you are looking for a good burger without spending a ton of money, try this joker out.
- Wings - They have several different flavor wings that all sound good. My wife has gotten the wings both times (FYI they have wing night on Thursday nights) we came. She's enjoyed them and I have always enjoyed being able to eat 1 or 2. They are very decently priced in my opinion and I look forward to trying them out more. You can get them with a side of fries or a side of..........
- Fried Pickles - I must admit I am not a fried pickle lover. However, my wife gets fried pickles as a side with her wings and let me tell you, these jokers are good. I may get them as a side if the darn fries weren't so good too. I love eating at all these places with my wife because she doesn't eat all her food and I get the rest, but this may be my favorite because I love wings and their fried pickles are the best I have ever had.
Da Corrado Ristorante - $$$
Da Corrado is a must try date night meal. Leave the kids at home and take your spouse out to one of the finest dining restaraunts in the area. I may be cheating a little bit because this is actually out on Lake Oconee. However, if you live in this area, you must try this place at least once if you like Italian food. Everything tastes so fresh and delicious. The atmosphere is outstanding and the mood is very romantic. If you go on the weekend then sometimes they have a soul singer present who makes you feel like you are in the finest place in New York City back in the 1960s. It's fantastic although can be expensive. We've never gotten anything we didn't love from this place. It's worth the money and the mood it sets. Men if your wife loves Italian food this will definitely build a lot of lucky points if you know what I mean.
- Chicken Parmesan - The chicken is massive, breaded, and cooked to perfection. If you eat all of this meal then you can be sure that you'll need extra time at the gym. The noodles are always "al dente" and this place knows how to do pasta. The marinara sauce is the best I've ever had and tastes extremely fresh.
- Angel Hair with Meat Sauce - My wife loves angel hair with meat sauce or Italian sausage. I don't know that she has ever gotten anything different from here. But why should she? It's her favorite meal at one of her favorite places. We eat here at least once a year for our annual weekend getaway. Sometimes if she's really nice I'll spring for twice a year, once on her birthday and once on our annual weekend getaway.
- Dessert - Honestly I am not an Italian food lover so I don't know what it was called but the desserts here were outstanding. I highly recommend springing for the sweets if you can force yourself to cutback on the goodness of your main course.
The Griffin Household $-$$$
My wife and I love to cook. We love cook a wide range of meals. While you may not be able to eat here I personally love it. When you are here you are family. If you'd like to join us for dinner then maybe we can make that happen. Cooking with your spouse sometimes can be stressful especially when you are both good cooks. She has her meals that are always so much better than mine and I have mine that just seem to have just the right manly touch to them. Sometimes we spend more money trying to create meals than we would have spent by just eating elsewhere, but it really is quite nice to sit around the table with friends and family in the sometimes quiet (two young boys don't always make for a quiet meal) solace of our dining room and eat a meal as a family. We try to eat here weeknights but it's not always possible. I have had some of the greatest meals ever put in my mouth at the Griffin Household because it has that extra taste of love. Again, if you care to join us and you aren't a serial killer we do enjoy having guest over from time to time but before you come my wife has one rule, "Don't look at the mess!".
These are just some of my personal favorites to eat in the area. If you have your own I'd love to hear them. And just so I can make this a Christian post, Jesus loves you and He has certainly blessed the food at these locations. Please share your feedback and if you haven't tried these places out, give them a go and let me know what you think.